Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Of Green cabbages and green peas

A man comes to my building every Monday.A man with big bushy mustache,a forehead with thousands of wrinkles and teeth which have not been near a brush for more than a decade.He balances on his head his livelihood ,some green often black things called vegetables and a speech which wont be called vulgar in any rajnikant movie .He has a sense of knowing who will buy his wares for that day because I
have never seen him returning without selling something.He has a sort of diplomatic alliance with our watchman because the watchman does not have to bring vegetables for his wife on Mondays.In return our dear old vegetable wala is allowed to sell his green things in a building whose policy is "No hawkers allowed".Ha! speak about bribe free India.
This man is the center of attraction of about every housewife in my building (sorry , no adultery here)Not for his looks but for the fresh vegetables he brings.He come every Monday never missing that day .He walks a very upright proud walk and his speech very rough.I don't know why I observe him so minutely .He rarely has a change of dress wearing his whitish Grey dhoti as such like an uniform .He has a thread around his neck probably to ward of evil powers.Once suddenly he didn't come for one Monday.I agree that his absence wasn't the talk of the town or my building but his absence was recorded.Suddenly all of a sudden on a Thursday he appeared.He came without his characteristic wares and green things.But i noticed some thing was going in on his mind.Then suddenly as my eyes followed he had pressed the siren(electric bell)of my house.The circuit was completed and a clear harsh sound of he bell was heard in my house.The door opened and all of sudden I heard the crying , no rather wailing of that man.I was surprised and i ran to the door to see whether that man had gone insane or something.I noticed that between his wailing sobs he was saying something about "daughter........operation......daughter......money......rs.50,000....."At that moment I realised what providence can do to a person.I realised even that man had a life
Talismans or threads can ward of evil spirits but not luck.


MORAL :-Luck favours not the brave but the rich

0 comments: